Friday, August 7, 2009

Day 10 - Amongst the sea ice at Cape Mercy

Waking up to the sound of loud crashes against the hull of your ship isn’t always the most pleasant thing. As it is, I’m in a forward port cabin, so the noises were especially evident. Turns out it was the sea ice that we’d been warned about, or “bergy bits” – comparatively small chunks of ice broken off from larger chunks that the ship was trying to be avoid. We were heading for some open water off the coast of Cape Mercy and as we got closer, the ice got thicker. As we piled out onto the bow, there were times where we had to brace ourselves as the ship’s bow plowed into gradually increasing bergy bits.

But we made it through, and before we knew it, we were loading into the zodiacs to go “play in the ice”. As we maneuvered carefully through the ice, some people commented on how we finally felt like we were truly in the Arctic. I guess I agree. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been well aware of where I’ve been for the past few days. But seeing the thick ice, feeling the cold wind chill – that’s how everyone imagines the Arctic.

And today, we truly became Students On Ice as our zodiacs slid up to a particularly flat ‘berg and we clamored out onto the floating ice. Sadly, within seconds of doing so, we were ordered back onto the zodiacs as word came that the narrow passes we had used to enter the ice pack were rapidly closing and we had to move fast, lest we become students permanently on ice. That meant no actual pictures of me exist standing on an iceberg, except what’s burned into my memory. Hopefully, we’ll get another chance before the adventure is over.

After the zodiac trips, we headed out into the Davis Strait to look for some polar bears along the expected thick sea ice that was supposed to be there. Unfortunately, the thick sea ice didn’t exist, but with the open waters, what did exist were the rolling swells and the return of the Horizontal Club. Since most of the evening was spent seasick, I doubt this journal entry will get out in time for the daily update. If so, I apologize.

Despite the ill feelings, I was able to conduct my first astronomy workshop in combination with Colin Jagoe, a high school teacher from Ontario who’s taught astronomy and physics. We had a pretty good turn out, although it was held in the same lounge where the Horizontal Club meets to suffer through seasickness in unity, so I’m not sure how many were there because they really wanted to. Either way, it was a successful workshop, and I think we’re doing one for tomorrow.

Sadly, no quote for today, as laying prone trying not to vomit doesn’t make me feel adventurous. Hopefully we’ll get back to near the coast so the spirit of exploration will return soon…

1 comment:

  1. In spite of the sick and dying lying all around us, I think that they appreciated our astronomy workshop! :)

    Even the Horizontals said so!

    I had fun anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete