Thursday, July 30, 2009

Day 1 - Ottawa

The second day of my Students on Ice Arctic expedition was mostly spent greeting the various students arriving for this great adventure. I got to meet lots of great young adults from Pond Inlet to Victoria to St. John’s, from Rhode Island to New York, and even Monaco! And I discovered something quite quickly… no matter where they are from, when they have something in common, teenagers can talk. And talk. Aaaaand talk. But they are all a dynamic and entertaining group and I was thrilled to be one of the first people they met on their journey.

It was suggested I write more stories in my blog, so here goes. Waiting at the airport with me was one of my fellow Expedition staff members, Scobie Pye. Scobie is quite the character, hailing from Hobart, Tasmania (giving him the nickname of our Tasmanian Devil). He’s also a wealth of information as you can probably guess from his bio on the Students On Ice website.

Scobie makes is a tradition to greet students at the airport each expedition. In between waiting for delayed flights, lost luggage and urgent trips to “the loo” by jet-lagged travelers, Scobie inundated me with stories of the North, including visits to northern Russian mining towns. He could write a book… if he hasn’t already.

Thursday we are off to a behind the scenes tour of the Canadian Museum of Nature, a trip to the Parliament Buildings (I’ll be sure to say hello to Stephen Harper). I’ll end off with a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson: “Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” We are definitely going where there is no path…

No comments:

Post a Comment